Google Poem Search

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My Poems-2 : 'Arumuganeri' (From Suri's Autobio)

A small place near Tiruchendur,
and not far from Cape Comorin;
The landmark today is
The Dhrangdhra Chemicals Ltd.
It was my mother's place.
There was I born on a
Diwali Day,
to the sound of crackers and
the light of fireworks.
October 21, 1949 to be precise.

My contact with the place
is very limited.
Maybe I visited the place
four or five times
in all my life.

I spent
a summer vacation there
during my school days.
Swimming in a pond daily,
Witnessing a Volley-ball tournament,
Playing an old gramophone and
munching snacks
in the house of
various relatives.
Beyond that,
the place holds
no other memories for me.

But, oh yes,
after my marriage,
I spent a day there
with my wife,
spending an hour
in each uncle's house.

I am told
K.T.Kosalram,
Member of Parliament,
was a native of that place.
So also
the Tamil writer,
"Thamarai Manaalan".


After that
I have lost touch
completely and
am not sorry!

No comments: