Google Poem Search

Friday, August 8, 2008

The Song of Myself - Mahakavi Subramania Bharathi

I'm all the birds that fly in the sky;
I'm all the beasts that roam the earth;
I'm all the trees that grow in the wood;
I'm the wind, the rain and the sea.

I'm all the stars that shine on high;
I'm the vast expanse of widening space;
I'm all the worms that crawl on earth;
I'm all the life in the vasty deep!

All the poetry of Kamban am I;
And all the figures that artists draw;
The halls and bowers men wonder at
And all the beauteous towers amI.

In the music melodious of maidens I am;
And all the teeming pleasures I am;
I'm all the lies of the unworthy base;
I'm all the misery that endurance tests.

Master I am of a million mantras;
And Essence I am of all that moves;
Maker I am of a million tantras;
And He that proclaimed the Vedic Shastras.

I'm He that created the Universes all;
And made them revolve in their orbits true,
Unswerving a bit from their appointed paths;
I'm all the beneficent bands of power;
I'm the Cause and End of all!

I'm He that works the lie called 'I',
And swims through Wisdom's flaming sky;
I'm the Intelligence shining bright,
Oned with all, as the Primal Light!


Translated from Tamil to English by Prof.K.G.Seshadri, Former Principal, Rajah Serfoji Govt College, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India.

"Sakthi and Other Poems"
Poems of Subramania Bharathi -
Translated by Prof K G Seshadri
Published by T.R.N.Memorail Library and Publications
Thanjavur

No comments: